Sunday, July 10, 2016

Flying Beings

The other night I had this dream. It was long, one of those adventure types, and the last thing I could remember was that I was in this large building with a very high ceiling. Someone was with me, a classmate from high school, but she was just there. I couldn't recall anything that she did. So it was at the end of that long dream that the scene in the large building happened.

People or 'beings' gradually came into view. I don't know much about dream sequences, but sometimes transitions just don't happen. And this was one of those times. These beings appeared, and they were flying, like a flock of birds, only they looked vaguely human. Usually when events like this happen in my dreams, I get scared and try to walk away. But this time, while the feeling of fear was still there, there was a feeling of wonder as well. So I took out my phone instead and recorded them on video. They flew from end to end, then dived right above my head. I also caught them on camera hanging around my companion, although curiously these beings on the ground can't be seen by the naked eye.

That was the dream, or at least the end of it before I woke up. It was something that I would have forgotten if not for the Bible reading that day, that's why I am writing this here.

July 9, 2016 Saturday
First Reading: Isaiah 6:1-8

In the year King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a high and lofty throne, with the train of his garment filling the temple. Seraphim were stationed above; each of them had six wings: with two they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they hovered.

One cried out to the other: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts! All the earth is filled with his glory!” At the sound of that cry, the frame of the door shook and the house was filled with smoke.

Then I said, “Woe is me, I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!” Then one of the seraphim flew to me, holding an ember which he had taken with tongs from the altar.

He touched my mouth with it. “See,” he said, “now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?” “Here I am,” I said; “send me!”
The text below is from the Meditation that accompanied the readings:

Anyone who encounters the Lord is both attracted to Him and yet afraid. We are drawn to Him, for our hearts sense that this is what we are made for, that this mysterious, beautiful, merciful, personal Presence is what we long for -- and yet we also know instinctively that we are not like Him, and we are unworthy to be in His Presence. (The Anawim Way, Liturgical Meditations)

No comments:

Post a Comment