Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Netflix Take Two

The last time I tried Netflix was to watch the Gilmore Girls revival in 2016. With that free month, I was also able to watch Sherlock and some Doctor Who episodes, among others.

Last August, I was offered the free month again and would not have signed up if not for the movie To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Whereas in 2016 I only played on a laptop, this time I tried it on the television, which I found out was not a good idea because then I got hooked. My watch list reached more than 50 films and series. How could I watch all of that within the free month? So, yeah, in the end I continued my subscription.

Caiaphas, A.D. The Bible Continues
Caiaphas, A.D. The Bible Continues

The best thing I got from it yet was A.D. Kingdom and Empire a.k.a. The Bible Continues. I've always loved Biblical films and was usually updated on new releases, but this one I was not familiar with. It might be because I did not bother to watch Son of God or The Bible miniseries for the sole reason that I was not "feeling" the actor playing Christ. So I watched the series with my father, and with no expectations whatsoever.

AD is a continuation of The Bible miniseries. It depicts the events after the death of Christ and follows three groups of people: Pilate and the Romans, Caiaphas and the Pharisees, and the Disciples. It is based on the Acts of the Apostles, which is a term to mean some liberties were taken to add or subtract from the book. That's how films usually are.

The best part of this series was how the characters were presented. They cast actors of different nationalities and colors, which was fine, although I admit it sometimes distracted me from the story.

Pilate, who is usually portrayed somewhat fair, was in this a very cruel man. I've read that his character followed what real historical accounts of him are saying. Then there was Caiaphas, who was a person torn between the Roman law, the law of Moses, and the safety of his people. Couple that with a great actor and you've got a very intriguing character that will make you feel for him. Peter was also a highlight and maybe one of the best portrayals I've seen so far. His costume though... I couldn't take my eyes off his legs. Out of all people there, he was the only one wearing a tunic that hangs above his knees!

Saul before conversion A.D. The Bible Continues
Saul before conversion
My favorite in this, however, is Saul. The only other time I've seen a Saul or Paul in a film was in a late 90s miniseries called St. Paul. Looking back through YouTube videos, the 90s Saul was a bit muted compared to THIS Saul. In AD, Saul was scarily strong-willed, harsh, intelligent, full of conviction, extremely passionate about his beliefs, and zealous about his cause you could feel his hate of the Christians in your bones. In other words, the perfect candidate for a leader and preacher. Credits must go to the man who played him, Irish actor Emmett J. Scanlan.

Then I found out AD was cancelled years ago... oh well. Too bad.

The second good thing about Netflix is the wide range of series related to Architecture, Design, Real Estate, Gardening, and Food. It's a haven of informative lifestyle shows you can play anytime or in the background while doing something else. Compared with having cable at home, I think Netflix is a cheaper and better alternative. (But that's just me convincing myself that I made the right decision.)

* * * * * *

P.S. Look, I even found these books in a secondhand bookstore!

I, Saul and AD The Bible Continues books

No comments:

Post a Comment