Monday, May 24, 2021

Bike Dream

marten bjork unsplash
Photo by Marten Bjork on Unsplash

There were four of us biking in town, and I was third in line. The last one was a boy who was supposed to be a younger cousin. While on the road we chanced upon news that a relative of ours would be featured on television. Both of us got excited and talked about it while riding side-by-side. At the end of our conversation, the boy exclaimed how great the news was. I agreed. Because I thought our little chat ended, I moved in front of him again.

For a second time, the boy repeated his last sentence, "Isn't it great, ate?" And once again I replied, "O." (Yes.) I moved farther ahead trying to avoid the boy. But once I turned a corner, I heard the same thing, so I just said "O" without looking back. I was pretty sure the boy was out of hearing by now, but this time his voice came out reverberating around me, "Isn't it great, ate?" I got a nervous hunch, so I stopped, then told the two other guys to wait. However, I went back for the boy too late... That's when I woke up.

It was one of those dreams that made me pause and think. What did it want to tell me? The boy was not someone I knew in real life. His face was unfamiliar, yet he represented the family.

I don't like repeating myself, and in the dream, I chose to ignore my cousin to keep from being irritated. I guess the point was for me to learn to listen even if I am hearing the same thing for the hundredth time. My parents are now in their 60s, and it won't take long before they start to be like normal old people and repeat their stories. I would need to remind myself of this dream and be patient.

(May 23, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment